Rules of the Competition
- Open to organisations in the following counties: Bristol, BANES, Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire & Gloucestershire.
- The information supplied will not be divulged as per GDPR.
- Preliminary selection will be made using the information supplied by the competitor.
- The selected competitors will be informed in April 2023.
- The judges & a photographer will visit the short-listed entrants towards the end of April / early May 2023
- Those finalists short-listed for the competition will be invited to the Show on the day of the presentation.
- The panel of judges will consider the general criteria using the information supplied in conjunction with their visit. Judges will be from The Duchy of Cornwall, The Royal Bath & West Society and an independent person.
- The final result & presentation of the Awards will be made at The Royal Bath & West Show on Thursday 1st June 2023.
Interpretation of Conditions
- The Society reserves the right to withhold any prize, if, in the opinion of the Stewards, the conditions & regulations have not been properly complied with.
- Any competitor wishing to lodge an objection against another competitor must make the same in writing on a form obtained from the Society Secretary & deposit the sum of £50. If on investigation the objection is not sustained to the satisfaction of the Stewards, the sum thus deposited shall, at the discretion of the Council, be forfeited to the funds of the Society. The decision of the Stewards shall be final.
- All entries must be made by completing the enclosed entry form & answering the questions on a supplementary form. Entries are restricted to one entry per group & the prize will be as stated. The Society reserves the right to substitute the prize for one of equal or equivalent value.
- The Society reserves by its Council the sole & absolute right to interpret these or any other prescribed conditions & regulations, or prize sheets, and the arbitrarily settle & determine all matters, questions, or differences in regard there to, or otherwise arising out of or connected with, or incidental to the Show. Also to refuse & cancel any entries, disqualify entries, vary or cancel awards of prizes & relax conditions, as the Society may deem expedient.
- Promoter of the competition is: The Royal Bath & West of England Society, The Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset, BA4 6QN. Charity Reg No. 1039397. Company Reg No. 2931640.
This Award is open to community organisations, schools, colleges and groups which have, through their own initiative, brought about improvements to the lives of the population via projects with long term viability. The Award is intended to embrace a wide range of schemes where there has been a genuine attempt to move forward in a resourceful and inventive way to the benefit of a community.
Examples of such projects would be:-
a) The communal buying of a local asset e.g. to preserve a village shop, post office or public house.
b) The development of allotments by villagers without gardens to grow their own vegetables for their own or village consumption.
c) The preparation and formation of community facilities ie playgrounds, youth centres and broadband facilities.
The list of possible activities is far reaching but the key word is longevity i.e. the initiative must be capable of being maintained for the future and is merely exploiting the natural resources within a community without destroying the ecological balance of the area.
Those who consider that their work might fulfill the criteria should enter by completing the online application form.
The Award will be presented to the group which has, in the Judges’ estimation, made the most outstanding contribution to improving the lives of their community.
The Award carries with it a framed certificate and a cash prize of £1,000 and memento from His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales which the winning group must use to further their community initiatives.